Monday 17 May 2010

Summer Reading

Every summer I like to find myself a new book to tackle. For most of my life I conquered The Harry Potter series without fail, This year is different.

The Author Elizabeth Laird visited my school (Queen Elizabeth's Girls') in 2002 (I think) when I was 12 years old. To my delight, she began to talk about Palestine. I never imagined that any English lady would talk about such a subject. I scurried to her at the end of her speech and told her my Grandmother was Palestinian. She recommended that I read her book "A Little Piece Of Ground"



"I first visited Israel in 1968, and enjoyed a warm welcome from many Israeli friends. Later, I lived in Beirut with my husband and son during the civil war there, and became aware for the first time of the tragedy of the Palestinian refugees. I visited both Gaza and Ramallah, in the occupied territories, in 2002, while leading workshops for Palestinian writers. I was appalled by the circumstances in which people were living, and became aware that we in the west know very little of what life is like for Palestinians living under military occupation.

I have written A Little Piece of Ground in collaboration with Sonia Nimr, a Palestinian archaeologist, storyteller, writer and translator, who lives in Ramallah. We have tried to make our story as true to life as we can"

I ended up buying her book but never got round to reading it. I lost it while moving homes and recently re-discovered it. Now that I have it in my mits I most certainly will be reading it. i am older and wiser on the subject and will enjoy it a whole lot more.


No comments:

Post a Comment