Thursday 3 June 2010

Unfinished post...Flotilla


I stopped writing the first part of this post because my laptop went crazy. Not sure why.
A lot of things have happened in these past few days I don't really know where to start...
The Flotilla had set sail for Gaza to bring aid to Palestinians (most people on ship being Turkish) this included things like medicine, pens and paper for kids...
Any harm in that? We didn't think so.
I was lying in my bed the night the flotilla set sail, getting constant tweet updates from pro Palestinian twitter accounts. Great for me considering my net was not working, although I hated the fact that I couldn't watch the live feed.
It got to 3am, I rolled over in my bed and grabbed my phone. The last I had heard was that the flotilla was getting threats from Israel. This to me meant maybe they would send the passengers home when they got to Gaza. How wrong was I?
At 3am I read a tweet “people are you seeing this, 3 people have been killed we can see it right in front of our eyes”
My stomach dropped. I felt so sick and angry at the same time I didn't know what to do. It was one of those feelings you get when you want to help but have no way of getting to it.
The number kept on growing “nine people dead...some injured”
I went to Facebook immediately to express my anger, of course the Jewish boy on my Facebook friends list replied instantly, defending Israel in every way he could. Slime.
I do not wish to post what he responded with purely because it will frustrate me to look at what he wrote again.
As an Armenian, this is the 1st time in my life that I have ever supported Turkey. Turk or no Turk...those people were doing a good thing and got attacked by ruthless Israeli's. I came across a video of Gerald Kaufman, this part stuck out to me:


The Rachel Corrie Ship is still on its way and should be arriving on Saturday.
'Deep Regret' from certain politicians will not bring the dead back.
R.I.P to those who died.

No comments:

Post a Comment